Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Seventy friggin' Eight!

The new pope is a whopping 78 years old. I realize that this day in age, life expectancy has gone up quite a bit. He might have, what, 10 good years before he gets sick. What sense does that make? I realize that this process of picking a pope has been going on for a pretty long time. How about an age limit?

I don't mean to piss anyone off with this post. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Why not put a 60 year cap on the candidates? Do you really gain that much more knowledge after that point? If someone enters preisthood at 22, that is 38 YEARS of studying the same thing. The bible has around 1,300 pages. 38 years is 13,870 days. If you read at a leisurely pace of 20 pages a day, you could cover the bible 213 times. (I know I'm making this WAY too technical)

I wouldn't trust a 78 year old President. Heck, I wouldn't even trust a 78 year old relative to drive me to work.

You may still be learning things after 60, but people have a tendency to get set in their ways. The current world starts to drift away. You start to live in the past. Current issues and especially technology become confusing.

This is by no means bashing the Catholic faith. I consider myself a religious person and was brought up Lutheran. I think lots of things about the Catholic faith are pretty weird. You have your ways and I have mine. Everybody's happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger BP said...

Exactly!

Also, I was reading about the new pope's health history. He already had a hemorrhagic stroke in '91. Yikes!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

I heard that this Pope is supposed to be a "transitional" Pope; someone to keep things in order for the time being. I also heard that he's exteremely conservative...now, that makes me want to return to the Catholic church...right.

2:06 PM  
Blogger BP said...

Someone that is extremely conservative is definitely the wrong move. I wonder what they mean by transitional. Can he opt out any time?

BTW, those lips still kicks my butt. The creepy eye has got to go.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home