Monday, March 28, 2005

Supercharged

WOW! Whenever I get over a cold I get incredibly revved up. I was still feeling kinda crummy when I got home from my parent's at about 3pm. I decided to sleep for a while. I woke up a little after 8pm and feel GREAT! This stupid cold is finally gone.

I don't know if it's because I've done nothing but sleep for the last three days, or if it's because my immune system is kicking ass and taking names. Right now I highly doubt I'll sleep tonight. I feel like I drank a case of Red Bull.

I wish I had more car parts. I could easily do my power steering pump tonight, or replace that rusted/leaky coolant line.

Instead I'm doing a bunch of computer stuff. I've almost got NJ's laptop all set up and I'm thinking about rebuilding my home theatre computer. It's been acting buggy and I need to swap out the hard drive anyway.

BTW, I love my new lights. The lighting in my bedroom used to suck. All that I had was a light on my nightstand, and the lights on my workbench. I wanted to get some kind of cool low-voltage track lighting. I checked out all of the local home improvement stores and couldn't find anything that was both kickass and cheap. Everything that I looked at was around 10' long and cost over $100 (just for the track and power supply). Each cool little light fixture was $20 to $50 on top of that. I decided to build my own. I got a big-ass 1000W transformer for $45, a bunch of stainless steel aircraft cable and hardware for another $125, and a few lights for $5 a piece. About $200 total. It is about 28' long and will handle as many lights as I can hang on it. Whenever I build anything, it is always bulletproof. Heck, you could arc weld with the transformer that I got. Check out some pics...

Big-ass Transformer (This thing weighs over 20 pounds!!!)


Parts


Before lighting (During the day, but you get the idea)


After lighting


Bookcase (I still have to trim off the extra cable)


Comp Desk and TV (yes I have three monitors, suck it)


Pulley Block (what held up most of the project, no pun intended)


I still have to make some nice looking way of hooking up the lights to the overhead cables. Right now I'm just using some clip leads (used for electronics testing). I also need a dimmer. The light are only 20 watts but it really adds up.

I hope that you think it is as kickass as I do.

BTW#2, I didn't do jack squat for my B-Day. All festivities have been put off 'til next weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger BP said...

Thanks Sassy!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Bry said...

Good to hear you're feeling better! Sucky to hear it postponed your b-day plans...your lighting track looks pretty neato!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home